I was born in Brescia in 1989. I grew up in Franciacorta’s country side, a beautiful place where you can appreciate the incredible landscapes drinking superb wines.
From Sept ‘03 until June’08 I attended the high school @ Istituto Madonna della Neve in Adro (BS) - IT where I focused my attention on classical studies and in June ‘08 I obtained the “Maturità Classica” (humanistic studies) high school degree.
I decided to shift my studies into biological sciences from 2008 until 2011, period of time during which I studied and I obtained the Industrial and Environmental Biotechnology bachelor degree @ University of Milan - IT on Oct ‘11.
I moved to Zürich (Switzerland) on Feb ‘12 where I attended a two-years Master Course in Computational Biology and Bioinformatic @ Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETHZ).
In Feb ‘13 I joined Prof. Konrad Basler group for a small research project (lab rotation) @ IMLS (Institute of Molecular Life Sciences - University of Zürich) under the supervision of Dr. Simon Restrepo that successfully ended in Oct’13.
From June ‘14 to Jan ‘15, after my master thesis project on modelling D. melanogaster tubular organs through FEM simulations, I was a Research Assistant under the supervision of Prof. Konrad Basler (UZH) and Dr. Yanlan Mao (UCL). In this period of time, I was involved in the software engineering of EpiTools, an image processing software for epithelial tissues.
In Feb’15, I joined Dr. Maria Anisimova bioinformatics group as a PhD candidate in computational science and phylogenetics at Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Wädenswil (ZH). In Feb ‘18, I moved back to University of Zurich to complete my PhD in the group of Prof. Dr. Christian von Mering. On 4th Dec ‘18, I defended my PhD thesis titled “Realistic Evolutionary Models for Phylogenetic-Guided Analyses” and I successfully passed the doctoral exam at University of Zurich.
Since Aug, ‘19, I am a non-executive board member of Country Rose SRL, a shirt company founded by my parents. In this role, I am responsible for:
- Strategic consulting and development lead for logistic and manufacturing processes
- Development of web-application for data aggregation and financial transaction processing
- Design, deployment and maintenance of network and unified communication infrastructure
- Maintenance of heterogeneous and legacy IT environments
Until Apr ‘20, I worked as Cloud Engineer/Architect at Amanox Solutions AG, in Bern (CH), and in this role:
- I was involved in the definition, the implementation, and the support of cutting-edge data analytics and machine learning projects.
- I promoted the introduction of DevSecOps strategies for the development and deployment of applications and services on the cloud
- I advised on how to develop elastic solutions using stateless deployments and serverless infrastructure.
- I devised solutions which leveraged cloud architecture best practices, and the implementation of cloud adoption frameworks to ensure data integrity and the minimisation of possible failure scenarios.
I assisted many customers during their journey to the cloud. Among my clients, I worked with:
I studied the evolutionary molecular and epidemiological dynamics of viral diseases affecting the human population on a global scale, and how to implement a new class of evolutionary models which account for incorporing insertion and deletions events into phylogenetic reconstruction.
- 1 Feb 2018 - 31 Jan 2019: University of Zürich - Forschungskredit Candoc grant no. K-74409-01-01
- 1 July 2015: UZH-ETH MLS Travel grant
- GENECO course - Computational Molecular Evolution: Detecting Positive Selection - at University of Lund
- Frontiers in Plant Sciences 2016: Phd course in protein-coding evolution and detecting natural selection
- ZHAW-SIB Summer School GEMP 2015: Genomics and Evolution of Microbial Pathogens
Lorenzo Gatti, Jitao David Zhang, Maria Anisimova, Martin Schutten, Albert Osterhaus, Erhard van der Vries, Cross-reactive immunity drives global oscillation and opposed alternation patterns of seasonal influenza A viruses, BioRxiv (2017) doi:10.1101/bioRxiv/226613
Davide Heller, Andreas Hoppe, Simon Restrepo, Lorenzo Gatti, Alexander L. Tournier, Nicolas Tapon, Konrad Basler, and Yanlan Mao (2016). EpiTools: An Open-Source Image Analysis Toolkit for Quantifying Epithelial Growth Dynamics. Developmental Cell 36 (1) (January): 103–116. doi:10.1016/j.devcel.2015.12.012
SIB members, including: Anisimova, Maria; Gatti, Lorenzo; Gil, Manuel (2015). The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics’ resources: focus on curated databases. In: Nucleic Acids Research. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkv1310.
- Castor. Indel-Aware Phylogenetic Tree Inference Software
- Castor AWS. Auto-scaling On-Demand Indel-Aware Phylogenetic Tree Inference on the public cloud
- Tree Search Heuristic Library. The Unified Tree-Search Heuristic C++ Library (TSH-LIB) is a new unified implementation of binary tree topological searching engines for phylogenetic analyses.
- AliSt. ALIgnment STatistic, a program to compute indel presence statistics on Multi-Sequence Alignments.
- NetXDiscreteDynamics. Probabilistic framework for discrete evolutionary dynamic
- Phylo-Tools. Phylogenetic tree manipulation toolbox
- Epitools. Image processing software for Epithelial Tissues
- [2017-2019] SIB PhD Training Network representative Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- [2016-current] Member of the scientific Board at Swiss Institute of Queer Studies
- [2015-2018] Member of Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- [2015-2016] Member of MLS PhD Retreat Organising Committee 2016
- [2015-2016] Member of the UZH - ETHZ MLS PhD program steering committee
- [2014-current] Member of Verein Informatik-Alumni ETH Zürich (IAETH)
- [2013-2014] Board member of Verband der Studierenden an der ETHZ (VSETH)
- [2012-2014] Board member of Kommission für Masterstudenten ohne ETH-Bachelor (MoEB)
-  Founder of CUSMIBIO Alumni association at University of Milan
- [2008-current] Member of XLab Göttingen Alumni
-  Member of NYEX (Network for Youth Excellence)