I was born in Brescia in 1989. I grew up in Franciacorta’s country side, a beautiful place where you can appreciate the incredible landscapes drinking superb wines.
My accademic life
I started my accademic life in 2008, year during which I started by Bachelor studies in Milan, IT. There I studied and I obtained the Industrial and Environmental Biotechnology bachelor degree @ University of Milan - IT in Oct ‘11.
I moved to Zürich (Switzerland) on Feb ‘12 where I attended a two-years Master Course in Computational Biology and Bioinformatic @ Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETHZ).
In Feb ‘13 I joined Prof. Konrad Basler group for a small research project (lab rotation) @ IMLS (Institute of Molecular Life Sciences - University of Zürich) under the supervision of Dr. Simon Restrepo that successfully ended in Oct’13.
From June ‘14 to Jan ‘15, after my master thesis project on modelling D. melanogaster tubular organs through FEM simulations, I was a Research Assistant under the supervision of Prof. Konrad Basler (UZH) and Dr. Yanlan Mao (UCL). In this period of time, I was involved in the software engineering of EpiTools, an image processing software for epithelial tissues.
In Feb’15, I joined Dr. Maria Anisimova bioinformatics group as a PhD candidate in computational science and phylogenetics at Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Wädenswil (ZH). In Feb ‘18, I moved back to University of Zurich to complete my PhD in the group of Prof. Dr. Christian von Mering. On 4th Dec ‘18, I defended my PhD thesis titled “Realistic Evolutionary Models for Phylogenetic-Guided Analyses” and I successfully passed the doctoral exam at University of Zurich.
My professional journey
Since Aug, ‘19, I am a non-executive board member of Country Rose SRL, a shirt company founded by my parents. In this role, I am responsible for:
- Strategic consulting and development lead for logistic and manufacturing processes
- Development of web-application for data aggregation and financial transaction processing
- Design, deployment and maintenance of network and unified communication infrastructure
- Maintenance of heterogeneous and legacy IT environments
Until Apr ‘20, I worked as Cloud Engineer/Architect at Amanox Solutions AG, in Bern (CH), and in this role:
- I was involved in the definition, the implementation, and the support of cutting-edge data analytics and machine learning projects.
- I promoted the introduction of DevSecOps strategies for the development and deployment of applications and services on the cloud
- I advised on how to develop elastic solutions using stateless deployments and serverless infrastructure.
- I devised solutions which leveraged cloud architecture best practices, and the implementation of cloud adoption frameworks to ensure data integrity and the minimisation of possible failure scenarios.
I assisted many customers during their journey to the cloud. Among my clients, I worked with:
In June ‘20, I started working in the Digital & Commerce Tecnology department at Alpiq, AG. At first I covered the role of Cloud Engineer in the Application Operation Support team, and lately I took on the responsibility as Technical Lead. In this position, I am responsible for:
- Coordinating the implementation and execution of business-driven cloud projects
- Translating architecture diagrams into practical and reproducible cloud solutions
- Ensuring code quality and delivery standards
- Translating cloud engineering standards into development guidelines
- Supporting the introduction of DevSecOps strategies and cloud-inspired engineering best practices
- Engineering, developing, and implementing resilient and self-recovering cloud native solutions
- Defining DevOps standards and guidelines for hybrid teams
- Devising, implementing, and supporting the introduction of a unified CI/CD framework based on industry recognised standards
From Jan ‘22, I am joining forces with Dr. med. Matthias Reinacher at OwnShip Technology. In this new adventure, my focus will shift back to my origins, and the skillset that I acquired and consolidated in the last few years will be dedicated to design, implement, and support solutions for medicine, pharma, science, and the aviation sectors.
G-MOVJ, Lockheed Model 10 Electra featured on the cover of Mike Oldfield, 5 Miles Out, 1982
- [2017-2019] SIB PhD Training Network representative Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- [2016-current] Member of the scientific Board at Swiss Institute of Queer Studies
- [2015-2018] Member of Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- [2015-2016] Member of MLS PhD Retreat Organising Committee 2016
- [2015-2016] Member of the UZH - ETHZ MLS PhD program steering committee
- [2014-current] Member of Verein Informatik-Alumni ETH Zürich (IAETH)
- [2013-2014] Board member of Verband der Studierenden an der ETHZ (VSETH)
- [2012-2014] Board member of Kommission für Masterstudenten ohne ETH-Bachelor (MoEB)
-  Founder of CUSMIBIO Alumni association at University of Milan
- [2008-current] Member of XLab Göttingen Alumni
-  Member of NYEX (Network for Youth Excellence)